Monday 6 February 2012

Eight Easy Ways to be an Awful Host Family

I would apologise for this post, for its intensity, but frankly, I'm the one who is owed a massive apology.

THEY CLAIMED: they were a united family that went on excursions and holidays together. And that the children were happy with no major issues.
REALITY:  Host Mother (HM) and Host Father (HF) separated in June 2011 after (she claims) he repeatedly cheated on her. She is looking for a house to move into. They are fighting over custody, with lawyers being involved. They are planning to send the children to a psychologist. The children have witnessed the father slap the mother in the face. They scream and fight. The children are afraid of losing their mother.

THEY CLAIMED: They both work as doctors
REALITY: He works as a doctor, but she is unemployed and has been to Job Centre Plus to apply for govt grants/benefits. She says she has no money. She cannot pay my salary, so he pays it. When I ask for some 'cash float' (money I use to pay for the kids' entrance to fun park, etc), it's a massive issue for her to come up with the money.

HE CLAIMED: My boyf could come visit and sleep over
REALITY: She said the boyf can only come over in an emergency. In one month I've lived here, he has come over once, just for the day. She was hardly welcoming.


THEY CLAIMED: I would be provided with a car upon arrival. And I would be covered by insurance. And I would have the first week to settle in, including driving around with HM so I could get used to the roads.
REALITY: When I arrived there was no car or insurance. The car was bought a week later, and the insurance some days after that, after much nagging on my behalf. By then, my time to 'settle in' had expired and I just had the weekend to practice driving, completely on my own.


SHE CLAIMED: I was responsible for ironing the children's clothes.
REALITY: 3 weeks into work, she has a serious talk with me about not doing my job properly. She says she expects me to empty the children's laundry baskets, take the dirty laundry down to the laundry room and wash it, empty the washing machine, hang the clothes, AND iron them.

THEY CLAIMED: They have a cleaner who comes once a week.
REALITY:  Last week the cleaner was told not to come, because HF refused to pay for her. HM expects me to help her out now that there's no one to clean the four-storey house. At no extra pay.

THEY CLAIMED: The preschool was 20 mins from home
REALITY: Driving there, dropping the kids, and driving back, takes 1h 30 mins.  After 20 mins of driving you're still nowhere near the preschool.  You're on a highway. In the countryside.

THEY CLAIMED: I would be living in the luscious wealthy area of Backwell in a lovely 4-storey home blah blah blah
REALITY: I might be moving out IF the HM moves out into a flat, IF that flat has an extra room for me, IF she gets custody of the children.  If not, I will be living in a lovely luscious home with two bonkerz bickering adults. And their traumatised children.

AND THIS IS WHY IT'S GOOD TO BE A CYNICAL OVER-SUSPECTING PESSIMIST WHO HATES EVERYONE.

BECAUSE PEOPLE FUCKING LIE.

Harrumph, I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment